Therapeutic Recreation (TR)
What is Therapeutic Recreation?
Therapeutic Recreation (TR) services are thoughtfully designed to develop and facilitate individual goals, adding to a participant’s capacity for enjoyment, through engagement in leisure activity.
TR services focus on opportunities to:
- Strengthen skills necessary for participation
- Discover and build upon personal interests
- Increase social skills/opportunity
- Maximize independence
- Foster community involvement
Who is eligible for Therapeutic Recreation program?
Therapeutic Recreation programs are designed for participants who:
- Are 10 – 18 years of age
- Are receiving services at Lansdowne Children’s Centre
- Have a level of independence which allows safe supervision as well as maintaining self-directed participation at a 3 youth to 1 adult ratio
- Will identify a personal interest in personal and/or TR program goals
What can I expect?
Following referral, the Recreation Therapist (RT) will complete a TR intake with Guardian(s), support choice of a program option that will offer the most benefit to the participant, as well as complete formal/informal assessments as appropriate. Programs are typically group sessions. 1:1 appointments are available after consultation.
- Programs are in house or in the community dependent on the leisure pursuit
- During the school year programs are in evenings and occasional weekends
- During the summer there are 4 weeks of camp that are offered
- 1:1 appointments with the RT to determine next steps in an individual pursuit
- Transition to community programming
For further information about Therapeutic Recreation at Lansdowne Children's Centre or to initiate a referral please contact:
519-753-3153 ext. 206